Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

A climate paragraph for Romney

Here's something Romney should say. Conceivably, as his support from the conservative base now seems fairly secure, he will say something like this. (I'm not counting on it but there's a chance.)

"I said recently that 'President Obama promised to slow the rise of the oceans and to heal the planet. My promise is to help you and your family.' Some people seem to think I was making a statement about climate change. In fact, I was making a statement about President Obama and the utter disconnect between his rhetoric and his results. I have said in the past that 'I believe the world is getting warmer, and I believe that humans have contributed to that.' I still believe that. I have said 'It's important for us to reduce our emissions of pollutants and greenhouse gases that may be significant contributors.' I still believe that. I mentioned in my acceptance speech that renewables are part of the solution to our energy problem, and so is natural gas, which has helped lower U.S. greenhouse gas emissions. As we've seen in the Obama years, no nation with massive debt and sky-high unemployment is going to be an environmental leader. The first step is to end this awful economic malaise, which will enable us to afford a cleaner environment too."

For my earlier speechwriting advice on this subject, see here.