Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A reason to read the NYT

Since I was in Asia at the time, I missed the news that Ross Douthat is going to be a columnist for the New York Times. I think that's an inspired choice, with merits comparable to my own unsolicited recommendation of Heather Mac Donald. (Here's a debate between the two of them about secular conservatism.) Douthat's rise gives me a glimmer of hope for the right's future, compensating for the dread I feel at the ratings surge of the malevolently clownish Glenn Beck.

Incidentally, I do notice that commuters on my NJ Transit line are considerably more likely to be reading the Wall Street Journal than the Times, but now I see some basis for at least checking in at the NYT website more often than I have lately.

My generally favorable review of Douthat and Salam's Grand New Party is here, by the way.