Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Some Time ideas

Time Ideas, an online opinion section under the direction of Ryan Sager, has a lot of interesting, well, ideas. Two pieces up now that I recommend: "How to Make Kids Smarter: 10 Steps Backed by Science" by Eric Barker, and "Dave Barry Learns Everything You Need to Know About Being a Husband From Reading '50 Shades of Grey'." (There are, I should add, also pieces on topics such as the Ukraine crisis.) Remembering my 2009 debate with Ryan on "Has the right hit bottom?" I'd now revise my "yes" position, in that subsequent years saw mixed political results and further intellectual decline, such that here we are a half-decade later and the right's condition can be seen as promising or lamentable (depending on what data you focus on) but is hard to portray as strong and recovered.