Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Film note: The Secret of Kells

This is a wonderful and fascinating animated film: The Secret of Kells. It's from 2009 but I hadn't heard of it before happening across a DVD at a store recently. Trailer here:


It takes place in 8th century Ireland and is a fictional tale about the creation of the Book of Kells; as such, it also appealed to my interest in Celtic Christianity. The animation gives a sense of bringing an illuminated manuscript to life, and also explores other exotic visual territory; for instance, some of the scenes reminded me of cellular organelles in motion. I highly recommend this film, with the caveat that it has nightmarish imagery that could disturb small children. (I watched it alone.) About.com suggests ages 7+, though that's a year or two higher than I'd have said.