Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

"We are V.I.P."

In my July column, I predicted:
Bain Capital was just the beginning. Expect the Obama campaign to drive hard at pointing out Romney’s extensive campaign contributions from, and personal associations with, the financial sector. Also, expect such criticisms to largely fall flat.
Certainly, I was right about point 1. Whether I'm right that the criticisms will "largely fall flat" remains to be seen, and it is true that Romney's Hamptons fundraiser made for a rather fat target. Here's Peter Beinart:
“A woman in a blue chiffon dress poked her head out of a black Range Rover here on Sunday afternoon and yelled to an aide to Mitt Romney, ‘Is there a V.I.P. entrance. We are V.I.P.’
Thus began yesterday’s nasty little New York Times story entitled, “Romney Donors Out in Force in Hamptons.” It follows snarky coverage of Romney’s Jet Ski-filled vacation at his multi-million dollar New Hampshire estate. Which follows a flurry of reports suggesting that the Obama campaign’s assault on Romney’s record at Bain Capital is hurting him in key states like Ohio.
Of course, if you have to say you're a VIP, you probably aren't. In any case, expect a lot more stories like that Times piece.