Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Meanwhile in New Jersey

Chris Christie remains a shoo-in in the gubernatorial race, while the Senate race between Cory Booker and Steve Lonegan evidently has tightened somewhat, though with Booker still with a double-digit lead in a race ending Oct. 16. That suggests there are quite a few New Jerseyans who intend to vote for both Christie and Booker. Christie surely will survive the defection of Meghan McCain. Booker, whose Twitter feed I've followed (and been followed by) since before it was cool, is an appealing personality and has the benefit of being considered a Wall Street stooge by Glenn Greenwald; whether his record and positions merit a Senate seat is another question. Lonegan, about whom I recall being unimpressed when I voted for his then opponent Christie in the 2009 GOP primary, hasn't gotten my attention much this year apart from some blather about preferring scotch to pedicures.* I'll watch some Booker-Lonegan debates in early October and hope to hear something that will put this contest in a new and clarifying light.

* - So do I, but it's a close call.