Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

President Newt

I'm on the record as not being all that supportive of Newt Gingrich. Even when I defend him, it's probably not in a way he'd appreciate. But as he surges in South Carolina polls, I must admit I'm not all that exercised by the prospect of a Gingrich presidency. One reason is that I highly doubt it will ever happen. If he is nominated, Obama will wipe the floor with him in November, I expect. But even if somehow he's nominated and wins, a President Gingrich likely would be remarkably ineffective, shifting from one dubious idea to another and generating impassioned opposition for his style and substance both. Still, perhaps I'd apply to be a speechwriter in that administration. I'd send Newt this post to show I understand the tone he wants to set.

UPDATE: Unbelievable. 

UPDATE 1/21, as S.C. polls close: This sounds about right.

UPDATE, a little later: On the bright side, there is lunar mining.