Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

A pretty good president-elect

I'll probably watch Obama's Inauguration speech on my DVR, though I may not have much time to comment on it. I'm sure it will be very skillful oratory, and will use some of the characteristic Obama oratorical techniques discussed in an interesting Financial Times piece this weekend.

As for how Obama has performed as president-elect, I give him a solid B+, which is considerably better than I expected. The fairly centrist tenor of his appointments and statements is a very welcome surprise, and something that I have a moderate amount of hope will carry forward into actual governing. A left-liberal friend of mine was recently delighted to hear me say I thought Obama's performance so far was "pretty good." What I should have added is that if I continue thinking Obama's pretty good, that has glum implications for how my friend will think of him.