Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Book note: Beyond the Pale

Review copy received: Beyond the Pale: The Story of Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., by Ken Grossman, founder of the company. I've long been an enthusiast and aficionado of entrepreneurship, which is one reason I've long been a Republican. (For my current, growing revulsion at my party, see recent posts including this and this.) And I've long been interested in beer (with my usual moderation). To me, one of the most interesting parts of the Gillespie-Welch book The Declaration of Independents: How Libertarian Politics Can Fix What's Wrong with America (which by the way at present it cannot, I believe, referring to the subtitle), and which I reviewed here, was its chapter on how craft brewing went from underground activity to thriving industry. In any case, I suspect the Grossman book has some interesting material. As a side note, searching for it at Amazon Associates also yielded Beyond the Pale: The Jewish Encounter with Late Imperial Russia (Studies on the History of Society and Culture).